Thursday, February 4, 2010

Week 5 Weigh-In

So yesterday was my 5th weigh-in on the Body for Life Challenge. I'm happy and disappointed at the same time. I know, I'm crazy.

I'm happy because I have been steadily losing weight each week. My measurements have steadily gone down. I have increased my mileage on the elliptical each week toward reaching my goal of doing 6 miles. I can now pull my jeans on and off without unbuttoning or unzipping them. This is HUGE!

I'm disappointed because I really thought I would lose more than what I have. I am almost at the halfway point in the challenge and I've lost an average of 1/2 pound per week. That seems minuscule. I feel like most diets tout a 2 pound per week weight loss as healthy. I'm still holding out hope that I will have a sudden drop in weight towards the end but I know, realistically, that is unlikely. I have only myself to blame for my lack of success. I have skipped more than a few workouts, which is key to maximizing weight loss. I am lucky if I get in one cardio workout on my cardio days. I really need extra motivation to get my morning workout done.

Vince is not having quite as much success on the diet as I am. Although, he cheats quite a bit. I really tried to make things easy for him by having all of the right foods in the house. I encourage him to make and bring his lunch to work instead of eating out. I cook a healthy dinner and dessert each night. I even bought special snacks for him to take to work so he doesn't head to the vending machines. As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Vince's office does a lot of "business lunches" and ordering in. He feels left out when he doesn't participate. This would be fine if he could stick to the diet rules when he is out...but he doesn't. He will order a salad with grilled chicken, this is good! Then he eats 4 rolls with butter and a drinks a couple of cokes, not good. He could have the snacks that are sitting on his desk but he prefers to stop by the grocery store on his way in to the office and buy cookies or candy bars to snack on. His excuse is that he gets chocolate cravings in the afternoon. Vince is also not motivated to workout at all. He will do it as long as I am doing it. If I skip a workout, so does Vince. As a result, he started with a weight loss of 10 pounds in the first couple of weeks and as he slipped out of the diet rules he has gained back 5 pounds. He is frustrated and convinced that this diet doesn't really work. I keep trying to tell him that it is only not working because he is not following the rules, but I think it may be too late.

The hardest part of this for me is the lack of motivation and support. I feel like I'm tugging Vince along with me and it's tiring. Sometimes I really don't want to go to the gym and workout for an hour, I need someone to motivate me to go. Sometimes I am not seeing the results of all this effort and I feel like it doesn't really matter if I spend an hour cooking a healthy dinner when I could get the same results by stopping at McDonald's instead. I really need someone to tell me they can see a difference in me. Remind me of the benefits of eating healthy. Be supportive of the good choices I'm trying so hard to make. It is hard to stick to this challenge when the person you live with isn't really into it the way you are. The hardest part for me is not having Vince's interest in learning new recipes and exercises, not having his praise for the progress I've made, and counteracting his debbie-downer attitude towards the whole thing while trying to keep us both healthy.

I am getting back on track. No more skipping workouts. I'm determined to have a bigger weight loss next week.

Weight - 241.6 (-.6 pounds)
Hips - 50 inches (+.5 inch)
Waist - 41 inches (+1 inch)
Bust - 37.5 inches (-1.5 inches)
Bicep - 14.5 inches (no change)
Thigh - 26.5 inches (-1 inch)
Calf - 17 inches (no change)

I have been extremely bloated this week so the increase in my hip and waist measurements were expected. I am positive that I will show a huge decrease at my next weigh-in.

3 comments:

  1. Tara, you are doing great. You know the expression "slow and steady wins the race".
    Just keep it up. And don't depend on Vince for motivation. Ultimately, it's you who needs to motivate you. After all, what you are doing is for YOUR body and YOU benefit from it - though it would be nice to have support, but venting works too :) Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went way off the diet this weekrnd and I am so mad at myself. I am losing 1/2 lb a week like you - but my weight loss goes like this: lose 1 lb, lose nothing, lose 2 lbs, lose nothing for 2 weeks then lose 1 lb. Now I probably will gain after this weekend and I will have lost NOTHING. Soooo frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually decided to pass on this week. I just needed to get my head back in the game. I did lose 1/2 pound this week but gained back a little in inches. It is frustrating but I think I'm back in the right frame of mind now. I'm hoping to have some good progress this week. I've been taking pictures every other week and it is really encouraging to see the difference in my appearance. I'll be posting my half-way stuff this coming Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete