Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Chicken Fried Rice

Oh, how I love fried rice. The saltiness, the greasiness, the carb overload. Ah, fried rice, you are terribly bad for me and incredibly expensive for something seemingly so simple.

Since starting to really watch my weight and sodium intake, I have had to give up my beloved fried rice. Not to mention that my favorite place charges $8 for an 8 oz container. That's right. They charge $1 an ounce for fried rice. That's just wrong.

One day, to my delight while perusing the Body for Life recipe website, I came across a recipe for fried rice. My dreams have come true! Well, not exactly. The recipe called for a TON of soy sauce, which in turn means a TON of sodium. That's not good. It also called for all sorts of exotic vegetables with weird cooking instructions. Not gonna happen. It called for white rice, but I much prefer brown. So I decided to experiment and come up with a quick, easy recipe that is fairly low calorie and lower in fat and sodium. I think I came up with something pretty good. It definitely satisfies my Chinese food cravings.


Chicken Fried Rice
Adapted from Body for Life


Ingredients

1 Pound of Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast (or other lean meat)
2 Cups Minute Brown Rice
2 Cups Water
1 12oz Bag Steamfresh Frozen Mixed Vegetables
2 Large Egg Whites, beaten
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon McCormack Original Chicken Seasoning
3 Tablespoons Low Sodium Soy Sauce (or a soy sauce substitute)

Directions
  1. In a microwave safe bowl, place the rice and water.
  2. Heat on high in the microwave for 9 minutes.
  3. Let stand for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork.
  4. Place the bag of vegetables in the microwave and heat on high for 5 minutes.
  5. Cube the chicken.
  6. In a large skillet or wok, heat the olive oil.
  7. Season the chicken and cook in the oil.
  8. Once cooked, scoot the chicken to one side of the pan and cook the egg whites on the other side. They should come out fluffy and scrambled.
  9. Mix the chicken and egg whites together.
  10. Add the rice and vegetables to the skillet.
  11. Add the soy sauce and mix thoroughly.
  12. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. You want the rice to actually fry in the pan and become a little crispy.
Yield: 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment