Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day - Strawberry Coconut Protein Smoothies

On this beautiful Sunday in early May, I'm thinking about my mom. My mom is awesome. She is my best friend, a confidante, a guide, a teacher, and my mom. She has seen quite a bit in her lifetime. I'm very lucky to say that she is passing on her knowledge to me.

My mom lives over a thousand miles away and I miss her. Sure we talk on the phone almost daily and we email, facebook, and IM, but it really isn't the same as the face-to-face talks. Just vegging out watching a movie or having coffee by the pool. I miss having her nearby when I'm sick, when I need a ride to the hospital, when Vince is out of town and I'm lonely.

Don't get me wrong, Vince is great company and I have some awesome friends here in DC...it's just not the same. Vince's family is much different from my own. I get along with them fabulously but again, it's just not the same. I miss my mom.

So today, the day created to honor our mothers, I am thinking about my mom. I have a great gift ready to ship out to her. I've been baking muffins all morning to send to her. The best part of the day was when Vince said, "Hey, why don't you just go to Phoenix for a week or so and visit her.". Holy cow! I'm giddy! I'm now looking up flights and I'll be there for almost 2 weeks. It is awesome. We are going to have so much fun!

My day has turned from gloomy gray to vibrant pink. To celebrate my change in mood, I made myself a strawberry coconut protein smoothie. It is delicious and very filling. Creamy coconut, sweet strawberry...yum. So make one for yourself and give yourself a vibrant pink day. :)

Strawberry Protein Smoothie

Ingredients

3-4 Large Strawberries, diced
3/4 Cup Coconut Milk
1/4 Cup Water
1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
5-6 Ice Cubes
Sugar or other sweetener

Directions
  1. Put everything into a blender.
  2. Blend until smooth and thick.
Optional: Add some xanthum gum to the mix to make a thicker smoothie and prevent it from separating.
Just sweeten it to taste. It will really vary depending on how sweet your fruit is and how sweet you want your smoothie to be. Today I added 4 packets of Splenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment