Monday, June 21, 2010

Weigh In

It's Monday once again. That time of the week when I show my progress, or lack there of. This week begins a very busy schedule for me.

Today is the first day of classes. My last class for my Associate degree. I would have had my degree in June but wouldn't you know there was just one more class that I "had" to take. I think the school does it on purpose. They don't really want to see you leave...with all of your money. Oh well. So here I am with a Calculus book on the table. I should have my degree by December and then transfer to a 4 year school to complete my BA in Graphic Design.

After much deliberation, hemming and hawing, working up the courage, and just plain old bribing myself, I've decided to try out the Couch to 5k program. I've been saying for quite some time now that I need to vary my workouts. I try to do cardio at least 4 days a week but I get tired of the elliptical for every workout. I vary it with hiking outdoors, when the weather isn't too bad. I keep saying I'm going to go to some classes at the gym, and I've found one that I really want to try, but I'm a chicken shit and won't go alone. Vince's sister belongs to the same gym, so I ask her on occasion to go with me. So far we have not been able to mesh our schedules to go together. The class is given every Monday morning at 10:30. I really just need to do it, alone or not. Someone please give me a push next Monday.

Anyway, the Couch to 5k program is a beginners running program. It is a 9 week schedule of 3 runs a week. You alternate walking and running for session, increasing the run time and decreasing the walk time with each week. The goal is to be able to run 5k (3 miles) by the end of the 9 weeks. Here's the website with the schedule info.

The park right across the street has a walking/jogging trail on it. The entire trail is only 1/2 mile long so I'll have to make a few rounds but at least I know it is measured out and close by. The park near Vince's mom, has a 4 mile long trail around the lake. That might be nice if I make it to the end of the program.

This is the schedule that I plan to keep.

Week 1
Monday, Wednesday, & Friday:
Alternate 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking for a total of 30 minutes.

Week 2
Monday, Wednesday, & Friday:
Alternate 90 seconds of jogging with 2 minutes of walking for a total of 30 minutes.

Week 3
Monday, Wednesday, & Friday:
2 repetitions of Jog 200 yds, Walk 200 yds, Jog 400 yds, Walk 400 yds

Week 4
Monday, Wednesday, & Friday:
Jog 1/4 mile, Walk 1/8 mile, Jog 1/2 mile, Walk, 1/4 mile, Jog 1/4 mile, Walk 1/8 mile, Jog 1/2 mile

Week 5
Monday:
Jog 1/2 mile, Walk 1/4 mile, Jog 1/2 mile, Walk 1/4 mile, Jog 1/2 mile
Wednesday:
Jog 3/4 mile, Walk 1/2 mile, Jog 3/4 mile
Friday:
Jog 2 miles with no walking

Week 6
Monday:
Jog 1/2 mile, Walk 1/4 mile, Jog 3/4 mile, Walk 1/4 mile, Jog 1/2 mile
Wednesday:
Jog 1 mile, Walk 1/4 mile, Jog 1 mile
Friday:
Jog 2.25 miles with no walking

Week 7
Monday, Wednesday, & Friday:
Jog 2.5 miles with no walking

Week 8
Monday, Wednesday, & Friday:
Jog 2.75 miles with no walking

Week 9
Monday, Wednesday, & Friday:
Jog 3 miles with no walking

I really hope I can stick with this program. So many people have told me that if I start running the weight will "just fall off". While I don't believe it will be that easy, I am hoping that by switching up my workouts my body will respond kindly. Who knows, I might actually like running.

Vince has decided to do a "Paleo" type diet. Basically he doesn't want to eat any processed foods. The thought is that the longer it took to process it, the longer it will take your body to get rid of it. This diet is a little too strict for my liking and I don't actually think it's all that healthy. He plans to not only cut out processed foods but also carbs and most fats. He will be eating a very high protein diet. I'll have to make sure he gets plenty of veggies and fiber in there too. I will continue to watch my calorie intake and am going to start trying to get rid of some sugar/carbs from my diet. But I won't be going full Paleo along with Vince. I'll keep you posted on his progress.

Speaking of progress, I had none this week. I'm really struggling to get back into the swing of things. Those 2 weeks of "vacation" in Phoenix really screwed with my internal schedule, and let's face it, with my will power as well. The good is that I didn't gain, the bad is that I didn't lose. So here are the stats for this week.

Weight: 238.0 (no change)
Hips: 50 (+1 inch)
Waist: 39 (-1 inches)
Bust: 37 (no change)
Arms: 14 (no change)
Thighs: 26 (+1 inch)
Calves: 16.5 (no change)

No comments:

Post a Comment