I did have a few issues with these cookies that I will correct the next time I make them.
The issues I had were:
1. My dough came out really soft. Too soft to roll into balls. I didn't have the time to mess with it or chill it so I just spooned the dough onto my cookie sheet. This made my cookies a little on the flat side but they still tasted good.
2. I didn't have any unsalted butter on hand so I used regular but forgot to adjust the salt in the recipe, so my cookies were a little on the salty side.
3. The original recipe says that it yields 24 cookies or 12 sandwiches. So, I doubled it thinking that I would need 24 sandwiches for our party. I measured out the spoons by the tablespoon, as per the original recipe, and my cookies ended up HUGE. They were easily the size of a cup saucer. They were way too big for everyone. I'm sure that I could have gotten 24 sandwiches out of the recipe without doubling it.
4. My last issue with the cookies was that after a day, in an airtight container, the cookies became brittle. The cream stayed perfect but the cookies crumbled as soon as you touched them. It made for quite a mess.
Overall, these tasted really good, very reminiscent of the Fudge Round Cookies, and the cream filling was a-w-e-s-o-m-e. It's the perfect cream base to use in cookies, whoopie pies, cupcakes, whatever. I noted the changes that I would make below. I think these will turn out perfectly next time I make them and since they are so quick to whip up, I'm sure I'll be making them again soon.
Nutella Cream Sandwich CookiesAdapted from Bakingdom
1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 Large Egg
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 Cup Nutella
6 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, softened
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
3/4 Cup Marshmallow Fluff
1/2 Cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars.
- Beat in the egg until combined.
- Add the Nutella and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Slowly beat in the dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
- If the dough is very sticky, add a little more flour.
- Chill the dough for about 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into tablespoon size balls.
- Place the balls about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- Press each dough ball with the tines of fork, making a checkered pattern on the top of the ball.
- Lightly sprinkle the top of each cookie with sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before filling.
Make the cream filling:
- In a medium size bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add in the vanilla and salt.
- Whisk in the Nutella and Marshmallow Fluff until fully incorporated.
- If the cream is too runny, add in more sugar until a spreadable consistency is reached.
Assemble the sandwiches:
Place 1 to 2 tablespoons of filling on the bottom of a cookie. Then place another cookie, bottom side down, on top of the filling.
Yields: 24 servings