For those of you that don't know, Butter Chicken is a very popular Indian dish that is thought to have originated in New Delhi. It is typically made with chicken cooked in a Tandoor, but can be roasted or pan cooked as well. The chicken is cooked with various spices (like Garam Masala, cumin, turmeric, and chili) and a tomato butter cream sauce.
This version is quick, taking about 30 minutes to prepare, very tasty, and omits the butter, making it a healthy option when you're craving this particular dish.
I knew I had a hit on my hands when I brought the bowl of chicken to the table and Max went crazy for it. He ended up eating three helpings! I served the chicken with brown rice and broccoli for a very healthy, filling meal.
No-Butter ChickenFrom Gourmet Day to Day
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Small Onion, diced
2 Tablespoons Garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon Ginger
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Cumin
1 Tablespoon Garam Masala
1 teaspoon Turmeric
1 teaspoon Salt
1 Pound Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, cut into cubes
4 oz Plain Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
1/2 Cup Water
- Add the oil to a large skillet and heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and ginger.
- Cook for a few minutes, until the onion is golden.
- Add the tomato paste, sugar, cumin, garam masala, turmeric, and salt.
- Cook for 2 minutes to incorporate flavors.
- Add the chicken and coat completely with the spice mixture.
- Add the yogurt and water.
- Cook, while stirring, until the chicken is done (about 8 minutes).
- Serve over rice and/or with naan.
Yields: 6 servings (approx. 1 Cup each)