I made these muffins for the first time this week. I've made other banana muffins for Max and he always enjoys them. These have peanut butter added in to give them a protein boost. I had some over ripe bananas that needed to be used up and with Max not eating well this week (he's cutting another molar!) I thought I could kill two birds with one stone.
I initially made these following the recipe I found to the letter. Vince ended up eating that batch. They were really really good. Then I played around with the recipe to cut the sugar and butter and I think they came out pretty awesome!
These muffins were featured in this week's Muffin Tin Monday post. They have been a huge hit with Max.
Banana Peanut Butter Mini MuffinsAdapted from All Recipes
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1/2 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
2 Very Ripe Large Bananas
2 Cups All Purpose Flour (can sub Whole Wheat)
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
Optional: 1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Lightly grease mini muffin tins with cooking spray, or use paper muffin liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the applesauce, eggs, and sugar.
- Add the peanut butter, bananas, flour, and baking soda.
- Mix well, making sure the bananas are completely mashed and incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips (and nuts if using).
- Pour the batter into the muffin cups until they are about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins on a wire rack.
Yields: 48 mini muffins